Value Beyond Measure

  
(All quotes and photo credit can be found on my Pinterest page)

You Are Amazing

I was asked to teach a group of incredible women in my church. When women gather together to uplift in my religion we call it a Relief Society. Imagine a place where women are valued, heard, loved, cherished, and above all held sacred. (You can read more about Relief Society here.) In this lovely place we offer refuge, safety, relief, and respite from the joys, burdens, fast pace and heaviness of every day life. Here we get to discuss topics like self worth, share each others burdens, and lift one another up with hope, laughter, and tears of empathy. It is one of my most favorite places to be once a week! I leave feeling I can conquer what life throws at me until we meet again. I need it desperately.  The wisdom I gained and the heartfelt words I took back home with me are just too beautiful not to share. I hope you enjoy and most of all I hope you come away from reading feeling relief. 

My thoughts and studies are inspired from this wonderful 12 minute speech here.

I began this particular lesson with a handful of happy and lovely quotes from my Pinterest Board about self worth. 
(I've shared a few sprinkled between my writings today. Enjoy!)
 By doing this I am sharing a part of my personality therefore making it easier for these wonderful women to feel safe enough to open up and share their vulnerabilities. I then can begin my series of thought provoking questions to pull discussion out of them. Is this sounding like I am a total maniac? Ha ha! I enjoy sharing my process on how I teach a group of people especially since I am mostly nervous and extremely socially awkard. Bah ha. Okay, anyway my fabulous friend.... here is where I ask "What in your life has helped you find yourself? How do you take time daily to find drive and purpose? Most of us are still probably trying to find this very thing out." Now here is where I stand smiling quietly waiting in awkward silence until someone feels bad for me and begins the discussion. Ha ha! 

A few share that they have inspirational quotes posted around their home and workspace, many say they meditate and pray and study. These lifestyle choices effect our daily mood. Giving us something to work toward or open our hearts to new experiences. I have quotes coming out of every nook and cranny in my house ha ha! I find daily drive and purpose through reminders. They help me to have perspective. To remember the bigger picture. That I know where I came from and that I need to share that with others. I have a morning routine that I am really crappy at but hey I am a work in progress. I call it my morning salutation. I review my day in my head. I visualize myself doing my daily tasks, I see myself smiling, maybe dancing in the kitchen, hugging my children, ending the day chatting with my husband. I sort of prep my mind for what this day could be. I pray, read my scriptures (you can read more about this here) and write my thoughts in my journal. I am pretty good at getting this done about once every couple weeks ha ha! Daily prayer and gratitude are my main focus each morning though and it really sets the mood for my day. I hope you will share in the comments how you find daily drive!


        

Here is my next question...."When did you first recognize your worth? When did you realize you have always had this with you no matter what happens in your life?" A few women shared a time they were praying and in desperate need of God's love and it suddenly washed over them like a warm wave of love and light. I often feel my worth when I am speaking to God, or when I am doing a daily task that I know will improve another's life like my family or neighbors. Probably it is felt most when I am out helping someone else which comes and goes in bursts for me as my lifestyle makes all tasks difficult with Lily. When you realize you don't have to prove you are special, you suddenly realize you ARE special. One of my favorite quotes by an incredible woman named Sheri L. Dew says, "None of us come to this earth to gain our worth, we brought it with us!"


                              


When you understand your worth it is easier when trials come your way to say "Why not me?" instead of "Why me?" Head on over to the 12 minute video of the speech I took my inspiration from and listen to her sweet examples of one lovely young 14 year old woman struggling with cancer and how her worth radiated from her and touched the lives of others with her double thumbs up attitude. One of the Presidents of our church Spencer W. Kimball said, "God is your Father. He loves you. He and your Heavenly Mother value you beyond measure. You are unique. One of a kind, made of eternal intelligence which gives you claim upon eternal life." So, what is the difference between worth and worthiness?

Worth: We brought it with us. It is found when we see ourselves as our Heavenly Father sees us. Our worth was determined before we came to earth. Our worth will endure forever just as God's love endures through the eternities. How does that make you feel? I know my worth was with me before this life because I feel it every time I hold my special needs daughter. I see her worth and how in tact it is. Am I not just as incredible in God's eyes? I most definitely AM!

Worthiness: this is achieved through obedience. We continue to say sorry for our sins and strive to be more like Jesus WITH OUR WORTH IN TACT. Even in the midst of sin and sorrow our worth is that of eternal intelligence! When we sin, Satan wants us to feel shame and fear of God. Heavenly Father wants us to feel humility and love and remember our worth and use Christ's atonement to heal ourselves all the while knowing we are never loved any less and that no mistake need be final. 


        

Nobody can make you feel small and insignificant without your own consent.

Is there a time you can remember when you felt small and insignificant? I recall with perfect clarity the moment I got the phone call about Lily's MRI. I had just put her down for a nap, the boys were at school, and I was all alone. I saw the call from the neurologist and I answered with my hands shaking. My stomach is dropping even as I am typing this. I remember feeling shrunk down, out of control, fearful, confused, angry. The doctors voice sounded robotic. He just kept saying so many medical terms I didn't understand. I finally had to say "What does this mean?" and he gently and quietly in words I understood "Your daughter has what they use to call mental retardation. It's not a question of can we fix her. It is a question of how can we help her live the best life possible with what she has been given." After we hung up I cried. Alone. Just cried. I don't think I stopped crying inside alone for years. I then had to make the phone call to my husband at work as he had been anxiously waiting as well. We both cried together over the phone. Voices shaking, feeling small and helpless. But you see? Once again, this is the moment. What we decided to do in this moment is what defined me and my family. After we told the kids we suddenly had a wave of love, peace, calm, warmth, and a remembrance of our worth and her worth come over us all. This is how people gather strength. In these moments they are reminded of what lies within them. You must break to let the light in. Is there a time in your life when you felt a sudden rush of God's love for you? It even may be brief like a warm fast breeze. This is God reminding you of your worth. I feel it off and on as I am talking to a friend, or surrounded by family at a party, or when I play games with my children, or brush hands with my husband. I feel it every moment I am in the same room as Lily. But you see, this must be her mission because she does this to everyone she meets.

By recalling these experiences in your life can you now recognize the difference between what Satan wants you to feel and what God wants you to feel? The entire purpose of God is to uplift, envelop with love, create, progress, and remind you of your worth and the entire purpose of the Devil is to completely and utterly DESTROY. Our goal this year as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is to recognize the Savior in our lives. You don't need to feel far away from Christ. He knows your pains and joys. His heart is tied to yours with a string of mercy and love. Do not ever forget you are always worth the blessings of His atonement. Especially when we are unworthy from disobedience.


                             


Who are you?
YOU ARE A CHILD OF GOD
"If our love for a brother who saves us is stronger than the energy we give to negative thoughts about ourselves then He will help us overcome the things that cause suffering in our lives. 

He saves us from ourselves.

Let Him."   -Joy D. Jones

Hey you. Yes you. You are loved, cherished, beautiful, especially when broken. Your worth is always in tact. No matter what. Let that shine out of you.

xxMelissa








Comments

Popular Posts